What is Meditation?
Meditation is an ancient technique which yogis in India, China, and many other eastern cultures used to improve their consciousness. It’s a way to control thought processes and anxiety to improve health. It’s a way to focus the mind to concentrate on mental thought processes, free the mind of scattered thoughts and various patterns.
How Meditation can help Boost your Immune System?
Our immune system is one of the most fascinating defense mechanisms that our body has that fights pathogen invasions through a series of immune responses. It starts with our skin and includes our blood cells, and endocrine system. It combines secretions from several of our glands and effectively creates antibodies against pathogens.
Even though most of our immune responses are the result of complicated processes, we have discovered the physical and mental connection of immune responses. According to Deepak Chopra, M.D. – meditation helps your immune system do its job better.
“Then, in the ‘80s it was discovered that the immune system is highly intelligent; it became known as ‘a floating brain’ because of the ability of immune cells to participate in the chemical messages sent by the brain throughout the body.” – Deepak Chopra, M.D.
This means that your moods, thoughts, feelings, sensations, and expectations can influence your immune cells. In fact, when you meditate, your brain is focused and can transmit important messages to your immune cells more effectively.
Benefits of Meditation:
Our brain uses the autonomic nervous system (ANS) to communicate with our immune system. Moreover, we have the ability to influence our immune system and nervous system through meditation and concentration. Jennifer Wolkin wrote that there is increasing evidence that meditation does impact our immune system.
Below we have 3 major ways meditation can help improve immunity:
- Decrease stress and Anxiety
- Improve Brain and immune system communication
- Activate and improve Gut microbial activities
How to Meditate:
Meditation helps us focus better on our everyday life and improves concentration. However, many people have the wrong idea about meditation.
People often relate meditation with prayers, but in reality it’s the practice of concentration of our minds that help us to connect with our own inner thoughts. It can really help us to relax and melt away anxiety from our everyday hectic lives.
Here we will discuss some of the meditation methods and tips to help you practice meditation regularly and effectively.
- Posture: Sit on a chair or on the floor on a mat with your spine straight and head held up straight.
- Eyes: Try to keep your eyes open. Lower your gaze and focus on something in the room. Closing your eyes may drift your mind away more easily.
- Breathing: Focus on your breathing, inhale and exhale as it occurs naturally. Moreover, counting your breath can also help you to focus on the present.
- Focus on mantra: In meditation, you are required to draw your attention to your inner self gradually. First of all, you need to calm yourself. Next, you have to focus on your “mantra.” Your mantra can be any word or phrase that you repeat again and again in your mind.
- Controlling your thoughts: When you’re sitting alone quietly, it’s natural that thoughts will overwhelm you. However, don’t try to stop your thoughts by force, but focus on your mantra and let go of your thoughts gently.
- Duration: Start with 10 minutes a day and gradually increase to 30 minutes a day.
- Emotions: Remember that strong emotions like anger, shame, uncertainty and fear can make it difficult for you to concentrate and can stress your immune system . You need to let go of your past experiences and demands of the future, and just focus on the present.
We hope that these tips will help you practice meditation regularly. Once again, these are scientifically proven techniques that do not require any special training or mysticism, but are tied to reality. The results you will achieve are real and observable.
To learn more about alternative health techniques join us on our upcoming live webinar. Our current series is all about Immune System health! Also, Click Here to subscribe to our blogs or visit our Facebook page for more amazing posts.
Source: Alternative Health Concepts